Tuesday, February 5, 2013

Pulled Pork

I'm challenge with tender meats. Searing, braising, baking - it's all somehow beyond my grasp. I can roast a chicken, cook a chicken breast, render fat from a chicken thigh (noticing a theme?), and I can total nail ground meat (That's what... she... said?). I've ruined roast beef (tough), braised brisket (chewy, tough, and overcooked), and that pot roast nearly ruined my dutch oven.

But I am obsessed, stubborn, and determined. 



Food Network magazine to the rescue. I've delayed trying pulled pork recipes in the past because I'm not a fan of smoking meats in my apartment (for obvious reasons) and many of the rubs are so sweet (I'm not a huge barbeque fan for the same reason). And when I saw this very simple recipe in the magazine, I decided that it was high time for me to attempt meats again. And it was a HUGE success! I made tacos the first night, and then a few nights later, I made a super rich, insane hollandaise stack (teaser alert!). Also, this is one of the few recent recipes simple to elicit a coveted "Mmm!" from the husband and have him going back for thirds.



Pulled Pork
Adapted from Food Network Magazine

1 3.5 lb boneless pork shoulder
2 Tbl kosher salt
4 tsp freshly ground black pepper
1 Tbl McCormick's Cuban Seasoning blend
1 onion roughly chopped
1/2 head (~7 cloves) garlic, peeled and sliced
1 cup white wine

1. Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
2. Rinse the pork and pat dry. Rub all over with salt, pepper, and cuban seasoning. Add the wine to an enamel dutch oven, and place the pork in the wine. Scatter the onion and garlic over the pork.
3. Place a lid on the pan, and place in the oven for about 3 hours. Check for tenderness by placing a fork in the roast and turning the fork. If the meat starts to shred easily, then you're done! If not, return it to the oven and check again in 20 minutes.
4. Once done, remove the roast from the pan and let it rest for 15-20 minutes. Then, using two forks, shred the roast. Keep it moist by returning to the pan juices. Use as you wish.

1 comment: